Sunday, July 31, 2016

Hillary Rodham Clinton's 1960's Work For GOP Politicians Revisited

During the late 1960's most Democratic Party voters who are now over 60 years-of-age did not work for Republican Party politicians like the then-Republican Minority Leader in the U.S. House of Representatives (and later Republican Vice-President and Republican President) Gerald Ford or the then-Republican Congressional Representative (and later Republican President Nixon's Secretary of Defense) Melvin Laird.

Nor did most Democratic Party voters who are now over 60 years-of-age support the unsuccessful campaign in 1968 by the pro-Vietnam War, billionaire plutocrat and then-Republican New York Governor (and later Republican Vice-President) Nelson Rockefeller to get nominated as the Republican Party's presidential nominee at the 1968 Miami Republican National Convention.

Yet in her 2003 book Living History (for which she was paid more than $10 million in book advance and book royalties by the Viacom-CBS media conglomerate's Simon & Schuster book publishing subsidiary), former President Bill Clinton's wife--2016 Democratic Party presidential nominee Hillary Rodham Clinton--wrote the following:

"By the mid-1960s...I had been elected President of our college's Young Republicans during my freshman year...My Vice-President and friend, Betsy Griffith...stayed in the Republican Party, along with her husband, the political consultant John Deardourff...

"I had applied for the Wellesley Internship Program in Washington, D.C....Professor Alan Schechter, the program's Director...assigned me to intern at the House Republicans Conference. He knew I had come to college as a Republican...I...ended up reporting for duty to a group headed by the Minority leader Gerald Ford and including Melvin Laird of Wisconsin and Charles Goodell of New York, who befriended and advised me...

"...Goodell was later appointed to the Senate by Governor Nelson Rockefeller to replace Robert Kennedy...Toward the end of my internship, Goodell asked me...to go with him to the Republican Convention in Miami to work on behalf of Governor Rockefeller's...effort to wrest his party's nomination...I jumped at the chance and headed for Florida...We staffed the Rockefeller for President suites, taking phone calls and delivering messages to and from Rockefeller's political emissaries and delegates...I...didn't leave the Republican Party as much as it left me..."


No comments: